vineri, 30 martie 2012

Radio Luxembourg

It was in September 1961 (I was fourteen years old) that I started to listen to Radio Luxembourg. I used an old Grundig radio with a (so called) green tuning eye. Because of the fading of Radio Luxembourg the green eye always winks slowly, with a fast 'jit' every now and then. Everynight at 19.30 hours I tuned in at the great 208 m./1440 kHz. (medium-wave). Tune 208 m. 'Rita Williams Singers' It was fantastic to listen to Radio Luxembourg because at that time it was the only radiostation in all Europe that played nonstop the latest records (45 rpm singles).

Radio Luxembourg started with the Top Twenty in Autumn 1948 (at 1293 m. long wave). After the implementation of the Copenhagan Plan in 1951 the English programmes of Radio Luxembourg moved (July 2, 1951) from longwave to the famous 208 metres (1439 kHz; in 1978 1440 kHz.) medium wave.

Since April 8, 1962 every Sundaynight between eleven and midnight I listened to this English Top Twenty for many years. From 1958 till 1966 always presented by Barry Alldis. It was very strange that he always started with number one. Later he told me that the sponsors wanted it so. During the wintertime this Top Twenty was from midnight till one o' clock. Because I was young I went to bed at ten; and waked up by the alarm-clock at midnight.

I found two old brown tapes with original Top Twenty's. Now you can listen to them by a MP3 Player. Sunday 1 August 1965 and Sunday 26 June 1966. (Sursa)


Radio Luxembourg se poate asculta online, la adresa: http://tunein.com/radio/Radio-Luxembourg-s95882/